The Tactile Proof of Alternative Media
For homework I asked you to browse my list of categories/cases from alternative media and/or DIY publishers and think about which categories/cases you were most interested in. Make this known via this form and I’ll make groups while you work…
Riot Grrrl: DIY slides
In our last class you worked in groups to develop slides to summarize a particular section of Streitmatter’s chapter about the Black Panthers. We are going to do a similar activity today, only this time:
- You can only design one slide for your assigned section.
- The slide must be made by hand: that is, with pen, paper, scraps, scissors, and glue (once finished, photograph the image and email it to me).
- Each member will have to speak while the slide is up. (The group should try to summarize the essence of the chapter in 3-4 sentences but use the slide to amplify the key point from your assigned pages.)
Group 1: pp 216-219
Group 2: pp 220-223
Group 3: pp 224-228
Group 4: pp 228-233
Research strategies for Tactile Proof
In a moment, I’ll show you your groups for this project. Be sure to introduce yourselves and talk about the specific cases you might be interested in pursuing. To evaluate some possible threads, you’ll need to do some preliminary research:
- Finding books/articles/chapters — using Campbell, my library, Amazon
- Finding artifacts — archive.org, libraries, etc.
- Finding mainstream sources — Google News, Campbell
- Saving images for slides — Google Image, but also screengrabs in databases
Homework for next class:
- Read Freedman (in Readings Folder).
- Bring in the zines you ordered.