- Ask me three questions about the syllabus.
- Ordering zines: how did this go?
- Making mini-zines: how did this go?
The Tactile Proof of Alternative Media
Let’s begin by looking at the course trajectory over the next few weeks and taking a look at Part I of the first unit assignment.
Ostertag’s intro to People’s Movements, People’s Press: The Journalism of Social Justice Movements
Activity: on this Google Doc.
Make, then share, mini-zines
Make your mini-zines and distribute. If there’s time, we’ll share these and begin connecting them to the Tactile Proof assignment.
Homework for next class:
- Make your mini-zines and bring them to class.
- Read “The enduring influence of the Black Panther Party newspaper” from Columbia Journalism Review.
- Read Steitmatter’s “Standing Tall and Tough Against Racial Oppression” (in our Readings folder).
- Read Vol I, No. 1 of The Black Panther. You might also want to peep the archive here.